Tuesday, October 21, 2014

MYST #2: Pulp Fiction


Pulp Fiction cover.jpg

For Years I've been hearing my film-loving friends rave about *Pulp Fiction*, and I've finally experienced it for myself. I used the word "experience" rather than "see" or "view" because this movie is so chaotic and unique that it was truly an experience. Because of this, I don't think I could appreciate just as much as those who are very familiar with the film.
The mobster characters Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) and Vincent (John Travolta) and their methods of catching and shooting down the enemies of their boss, Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) gave the film a feeling humor along with the violence. It was a little different seeing Travolta in this type of role because I'm used to his more soft and romantic side, as seen in *Grease* and *Look Who's Talking*. But I think it's this human side to him that makes his character more humorous and likable, like in his dialogue with Jules about burgers in France or when he's out with Wallace's wife, Mia (Uma Thurman).

What makes this film really appealing in my opinion is its edginess. Its explicit use of drugs and murder throughout the movie give it that reckless feel, but the scene that dealt with rape is what really caused that uncomfortable feeling and caught me off guard. I apologize to those who haven't seen it, if I'm giving away too many details, but it was the most stand out scene in the entire film, in my opinion. As bold as this idea was, I think it pushed the envelope in just the right way to really get a reaction out of the audience.

Overall, I was really intrigued by this movie and plan to watch it again in the future. I recommend this movie to anyone who's not looking for your typical action/drama movie. It's truly unique and will capture your attention. 3.5/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the way you talked about this--I understand completely, and that's the same way I felt the first time I saw this movie. It's a film that gets better each time you see it--a lot going on, and you can digest it better each time you see it.

    ReplyDelete